Saturday, June 08, 2013

A glimpse of Papio-REI

Warning: this post is as serious as a heart attack. We are talking retirement planning. Yes, really. Retirement is around the corner. 60 will happen faster than I'll like it and nobody will be there to take care of me, not the state, not my kids. If I'm lucky, little feet, now 3, will be about to enter university when I turn 60. So... For when I want to slow down (or new software stop amusing me and I start losing more and more battles on the scarily huge field of self-actualisation, lifelong training and whatnot), I need something that will generate sure  money without much input from me and that is, I think, real estate.

If you are building to rent, efficiency is the word. Better build 3 small units than one large: if one is empty, the other two may be rented out and you are not putting all your eggs in the same basket. That's my credo. Now, I have to come up with some plan that will look good, be reproducible, and allow you to cram as many units as possible on any given plot without looking cramped or cheap.

One type of housing I've always admired is the terraced house in London, UK. Thanks to the Internet and many excellent real estate agents' websites, I've come up with a plan that I find completely suitable:


I still need to tweak a few things (including exchanging my plot for another one, which was not available when I bought it, but is now), but I think this will serve my purpose perfectly.

Now, all that remains to be done, is to generate the funds and start building!

No comments: