Friday, April 24, 2009

Spintex Road at Rainbow: shoddy work again?

Following-up with the Spintex Road works... I went yesterday and was surprised to see that the works were over and the road open to all types of vehicles. Here it what it looks like, seen from opposite Housemart.


On the face of it, there is nothing but reasons to rejoice: job completed fast, brand new road. Looking closer, though, one can notice that the surface gravel is very thin indeed and the laterite beneath is already beginning to show through.


One can see other weak points which may yield soon too:


Note that the resurfacing exercise was completed less than a week ago. The same methods as previously were used: very sparse scattering of gravel, then sprinkling of liquid tar. The picture below shows the method, as seen from the side of the road:


Last week, I expressed doubt about the treatment of where this new section transitions with the older one. I am afraid this part will erode fast. This is what it looks like now:

Lastly, I was surprised to see that the storm drains, which were built a few months ago, have been hammered down in several places. I reckon the reason is to make the flow of rainwater drain quicker, but I question the method:

I will keep following up on these works. I hope I'm wrong and the road will last. I'm afraid it won't, though, since the method used was the same that didn't work only a few months ago.

2 comments:

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Pipedreams, I like your dedication; we need more of that in Ghana! You never know how this blog could be a great source for prospective funders of our roads? The world is a small place--think BIG!!

I'll get back to you privately on the way forward for ghana roads...

Pipedreams said...

Thanks Emmanuel, I only wish there were more of us who don't feel it's "the way things are here" and that there is nothing we can do about it.

Let's think big for Ghana indeed, for it's a great place and deserves the best.