Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ghanaian road safety


Road safety has been a big topic in the Ghanaian news lately. Part of the many people expressing opinions blame it on the disregard of drivers for the road regulations and the state of repair of their vehicles, while others point to the dismal state of the roads to explain, at least partly, the many accidents we seem to read about in the papers every day. I think both claims are perfectly valid.


On April 2, 2009, I mentioned, in a post elsewhere, a specific section of Spintex Road that was recently resurfaced with a handful of gravel and a drizzle of liquid tar:
There is a stretch on Nungua link (the part of 'Spintex' between Coca Cola and Nungua junction) where potholes are a permanent fixture. What's funny (not so funny) is that they are not always the same. Heavy vehicles come now and then, scrap the surface, pack it down and about 3 weeks ago even sprinkled gravel and sparingly poured what looked like liquid tarmac on the gravel. It lasted all of 3 days and we are back with holes getting bigger and bigger and the red soil showing through the 'tarmac' (who are you kidding? I assure you the whole resurfacing was not more than 1/3 of an inch deep). Navigating through and around potholes is an art that requires concentration and the shortest lapse can send you into the car coming from the other way. Not mentioning the reflex action of flooring it once you are back on a half decent surface.

We all have dozens of similar examples. Is it really a deliberate policy to resurface roads in this very "temporary" manner? Or is there a budget for a decent resurfacing and after everyone even remotely involved has taken what they consider their rightful share this was all what remained for the work proper?
Last week, this section was cordonned off and traffic was diverted to allow for more "improvement" works.


As you may know, we had our first rains of the season in Accra yesterday and guess what: yesterday, this section (cordons removed) was back to its previous bumpy unsurfaced state. I am sorry I didn't take pictures of "before" and "after" but will go today and keep taking pictures, say every week, to monitor the situation. I don't exactly know where to post them in order to alert whomever can really have an impact. Any suggestion is welcome.

Today, surprise: heavy vehicles at work, again. I would be enthousiastic if I hadn't seen them several times over the last 18 months with no lasting results.


On a more positive note, I found myself stranded in Aflao yesterday after night fall and had to join a big bus (50+ seats) to Accra. It took us 5 solid hours, via the Keta road (the more direct road via Akatsi being a 50km nightmare) and many road blocks. I was impressed at how prudently and safely the driver behaved and abode by road regulations. Good behaviour is not very newsworthy but I felt only fair to mention it.

The following gives me no reason to rejoice though: I'm sorry to report that the driver and mate seemed to have to give something at every single road block on the way.

2 comments:

Taking Notes said...

You may be pleased to hear that we experience almost the same problems with roads here in the UK. They (Highways Agency or local council never sure which) relish digging up the roads for no apparent reason and leaving stripey red and white cones everywhere. The "finished" piece of road always looks completely the same and then they create more disruption with the other side which will also look the same!
Having set up my blog over the weekend I am now officially a blogger and will start posting on all my favourite sites! I have been discovering and reading other people's blogs for so long I thought I may as well have my own.

Pipedreams said...

Hello Jeanne, The "almost" probably makes the whole difference. I'm not making light of your predicament, but with our torrential rains a little hole becomes a huge car-breaker within minutes. Not to mention holes that formed during some previous downpour and fill with water whenever it rains: if you don't know the road by heart, chances are you'll end up in very deep... mud! with something broken underneath the châssis of your car.

Hi Korea-Seoul-Map and thank you for your support!