Thursday, June 13, 2013

Floor treatment #2

After everybody went to bed tonight, I found myself in the kitchen, trying to work, and having little success. Insects were bothering me and I first thought I would use this floor cleaning product that is also an insect repellent, but then I thought, why not apply the second coat of hard oil on the floor? Surely the turpentine in it will discourage quite a few insects too, and I've waited long enough to see how much oil got absorbed by the stone and the mortar.



Here is the floor just after I wiped a hard oil soaked terrycloth on it. I used very little this time, probably less than 0.25 litre of the mix for a 15sqm room (probably closer to 10sqm, since I didn't move the hob, fridge, and freezer and there are built-in shelves on one wall that extend to the floor and I didn't touch them either). It's shiny because the stone hasn't absorbed the oil yet. We'll see tomorrow how much was absorbed and how much needs to be wiped from the stones.

I still like the way the stone's colours are deepened by the hard oil and how they are set out against the mortar. I can't wait to do the rest of the house!

No comments: