Sunday, December 07, 2008

Important people ask me for favours

Hey, who would have thought I knew people high up? More to the point, that people high up are courting me for favours?

As you probably know already, Ghana is choosing a new president and new lawmakers today. I was very surprised to receive the following on my mobile phone:
Sender
: AkufoAddo


Text: Do you Believe In Ghana? Vote for me,Nana Akufo-Addo on 7th Dec for quality education,jobs,healthcare and a brighter future for our children.God Bless Ghana
Now this is interesting. I would never have thought somebody as important as Mr. Nana Akufo-Addo, presidential candidate and, if I read the signs well, soon to be president elect, knows me or knows of me and values my modest person so much that he would text me to ask for my vote.

I'm terribly flattered and, had I been a Ghanaian, I would willingly have participated in this voting exercise. I may even have voted for him, out of sheer gratefulness and loyalty. After all, he was the only candidate to reach out to me.

Being a cynic and a bit paranoid too, I however wonder where Mr Nana Akufo Addo got hold of my mobile phone number. Did he (or his campaign) try all possible mobile phone numbers sequentially? Did he (or his campaign) buy listings from the mobile phone company? Doesn't the Ghanaian law frown upon this? Is it legal in Ghana to buy subscribers lists?

This is democracy in the making. International medias wow and ahhh about how advanced Ghana is in the exercise of democracy. Would they be as impressed by consumer protection as they are by Ghana's political maturity?

No comments: